Free supported decision making training for support workers
This September, there will be a series of free training sessions on supported decision making. These are for support workers who work with adults with learning disabilities. It’s an opportunity to take part in a pilot course on supported decision making.
The course has been developed in the past year by a partnership including Advonet, CHANGE, Forum Central, Connect in the North, Leeds City Council Adults and Health and adults with learning disabilities.
The training aims to:
- Help support workers better support people with learning disabilities to make their own decisions
- Look at the problems people with learning disabilities have when they use services and find ways to help or fix these problems
- Support people with learning disabilities to work with other organisations and help improve the experience of people with learning disabilities living in Leeds
An advocacy approach underpins this work, ensuring that adults with learning disabilities are able to make a choice, have their voices heard and rights respected.
When and where?
Each session runs from 10am to 4pm. The course is split across two days for the first part, with one final session at the end.
There is a choice of two sets of dates of either Monday 16th September and Monday 23rd September or Friday 20th September and Friday 27th September.
The final session is on Monday 30th September – you must attend regardless if you have gone on the Mondays or Fridays.
The venues for each session are as follows:
- Monday 16th September – Room 4, St George’s Centre, Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3DL
- Friday 20th September – Room 4, St George’s Centre, Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3DL
- Monday 23rd September – Laidlaw Library, University of Leeds, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds LS2 9JT
- Friday 27th September – Hunslet Room, Voluntary Action Leeds, Stringer House, 34 Lupton Street, Hunslet, Leeds LS10 2QW
- Monday 30th September – Laidlaw Library, University of Leeds, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds LS2 9JT
If you would like to book a place, please email Philip at Philip.Bramson@advonet.org.uk. Places are limited, so the sooner you book, the better.
Please click on the picture above to download an Easy Read version of the information about the Supported Decision Making course.