Our Training Courses
We currently provide a suite of three training courses, which are:
- Introduction to Advocacy – a half-day advocacy introduction
- Effective Advocacy and Negotiation Skills – a full-day course covering the skills needed when providing advocacy
- Introduction to Advocacy Specialisms – a full-day course going over the different areas of advocacy, such as IMHA, IMCA and Health Complaints Advocacy
Please note that in order to enrol on the Effective Advocacy and Negotiation Skills and Introduction to Advocacy Specialisms courses, you need to complete the Introduction to Advocacy course first.
Why are we providing training?
The aim of the training programme is to make it easier for people in Leeds to get advocacy when they need it. By training workers in a wide range of organisations to improve their advocacy and negotiation skills, we hope to make advocacy more widely available.
Who is it for?
Workers or volunteers in organisations who could use advocacy and negotiating skills in their work.
People coming on the courses should already be:
- Trained for their existing role in their own organisation.
- Familiar with the community they work in and the groups of people their organisation works with. Volunteers should have worked with their organisation for at least three months.
- Aware of and understand their own organisation’s policies and procedures, particularly where this may affect their ability to act independently on behalf of the people they are working with.
- Competent in communication skills and reasonably assertive. They should be willing to challenge people in positions of authority where appropriate.
- Good enough at basic reading, writing and English language to advocate and negotiate effectively.
- Aware of equal opportunities issues and the factors that make it difficult for the people they are working with to get their point of view heard. They should have completed any equal opportunities training required by their own organisation.
Upcoming course dates
- Introduction to Advocacy – Tuesday 3rd November 2020, half day, times TBC
- Effective Advocacy and Negotiation Skills – Wednesday 4th November 2020, full day, times TBC
- Introduction to Advocacy Specialisms – Thursday 5th November 2020, full day, times TBC
- Introduction to Advocacy – Tuesday 2nd February 2021, half day, times TBC
- Effective Advocacy and Negotiation Skills – Wednesday 3rd February 2021, full day, times TBC
- Introduction to Advocacy Specialisms – Thursday 4th February 2021, full day, times TBC
Please keep an eye on this page for updates, as well as our news page and social media accounts.
To book a place on any future training courses or to be notified of the next dates, please click on this link to fill in the booking form and return to email@example.com or ring us on 0113 244 0606.
Examples of feedback from participants
‘I’ve learned lots about advocacy, things that I’ve never really thought about when it comes to being an advocate and the challenges they can face, so it’s been very informative and useful.’
‘The presenters were knowledgeable and answered the questions well.’
‘The presenters were very clear and organised. The breaks were at the right time. They were always very kind, respectful and eager to answer questions.’
‘I feel that I have learned a lot and I benefitted from meeting other advocates and learning from them.’
‘I really like learning about how to negotiate, the role of an advocate, what advocacy means and about the different Acts within statutory advocacy. The role playing as an advocate, client and manager.’
‘Great training. Fantastic that something like this is free!’
‘Excellent trainers, friendly, knowledgeable and approachable’
‘Good trainers and very open to questions’
‘Excellent, friendly and approachable’
‘The practice exercises were really useful’