For Leeds Learning Disability Week 2023 (from Monday 19th-Sunday 25th June), we have a lot planned. We will be attending and/or running four events to mark the week and promote what we do. Our Asking You!, CHANGE and Leep1 teams will all be involved in at least some of the events listed below.
Leeds Learning Disability People’s Parliament: Council Chamber Takeover
This is the annual takeover event where the Leeds Learning Disability People’s Parliament meets in the Council Chamber at Leeds Civic Hall. This is for adults with learning disabilities in Leeds. It feeds into the Leeds Learning Disability Partnership Board.
Our Asking You! team are helping to run the Council Chamber Takeover. People in Action will be live streaming it at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1RUnifvBCk
- Date: Tuesday 20th June
- Time: 10am-12 Noon
- Venue: Council Chamber, Leeds Civic Hall, Calverley Street, Leeds LS1 3UR
- More information: Email Jimmy at [email protected] or call the office on 0113 244 0606 and ask for Jimmy
Being Social Information Day
This is an event that has information about lots of social activities for adults with learning disabilities in Leeds. Leep1 will have a stall there, while Asking You! and CHANGE will share a stall. All three projects will have information about their groups and projects.
The event is being led by Connect in the North and will have stalls from many other services.
- Date: Tuesday 20th June
- Time: 11am-2:30pm
- Venue: Kirkgate Market, 34 George Street, Leeds LS2 7HY
- More information: Visit this link on the Through the Maze website: https://www.through-the-maze.org.uk/whats-on/learning-disability-week/being-social-information-day-2023/
Leep1’s monthly Club Night
This is a club night for adults with learning disabilities, run by our Leep1 team. This month’s Club Night has a 1980’s theme, including music from that time. It will be held at Popworld in Leeds City Centre, as usual.
- Date: Thursday 22nd June
- Time: 6:30pm-9:30pm
- Tickets are £10 on the door. Carers and support go for free
- Venue: Popworld, Cookridge Street, Leeds LS2 3AW
- More information: Email Helen at [email protected] or call the Leep1 office on 0113 243 9477 and ask for Helen or Hazel
Picnic in the Park
This event is organised by Aspire CBS. Leep1 and Asking You! will have a stall there. If you are going, please bring your own food, drinks, chairs, tables and blankets. This event celebrates Learning Disability Pride.
- Date: Friday 23rd June
- Time: 11am-2pm
- Venue: The Wedding Garden, Temple Newsam, Temple Newsam Road, Leeds LS15 0AE
- More information: Read this poster from Aspire CBS: https://www.through-the-maze.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/2023-LDWEEK-FRIDAY-Picnic-in-the-park-Poster-A3.pdf
Through the Maze have put together a calendar of events for Leeds Learning Disability Week. To see it, please visit this link on their website: https://www.through-the-maze.org.uk/whats-on-learning-disability-week/