Our Training Courses
Effective Advocacy and Negotiation Skills Training Course
This 2 day course covers:
- Skills and qualities of an advocate
- Principles of advocacy, including statutory advocacy
- Identifying situations suitable for advocacy
- Difference between advocacy and other forms of help
- Dealing with conflict
- Understanding and applying the principles of negotiation
- Negotiating successfully
- Dealing with stalling tactics
Why are we providing training?
The aim of the training programme is to make it easier for people in Leeds to get advocacy when they need it. By training workers in a wide range of organisations to improve their advocacy and negotiation skills, we hope to make advocacy more widely available.
Who is it for?
Workers or volunteers in organisations who could use advocacy and negotiating skills in their work.
People coming on the course should already be:
- Trained for their existing role in their own organisation.
- Familiar with the community they work in and the groups of people their organisation works with. Volunteers should have worked with their organisation for at least three months.
- Aware of and understand their own organisation’s policies and procedures, particularly where this may affect their ability to act independently on behalf of the people they are working with.
- Competent in communication skills and reasonably assertive. They should be willing to challenge people in positions of authority where appropriate.
- Good enough at basic reading, writing and English language to advocate and negotiate effectively.
- Aware of equal opportunities issues and the factors that make it difficult for the people they are working with to get their point of view heard. They should have completed any equal opportunities training required by their own organisation.
Upcoming course dates:
The next training dates will be Tuesday 6th February 2018 and Monday 12th February 20178 The course will run on both these days (it is a 2 day course) from 9am-4pm at a venue in Leeds. To book a place or to be notified of the next date, please click on this link to fill in the booking form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org or ring us on 0113 244 0606.
Examples of feedback from participants
‘Great training. Fantastic that something like this is free!’
‘Excellent trainers, friendly, knowledgeable and approachable’
‘Good trainers and very open to questions’
‘Excellent, friendly and approachable’
‘The practice exercises were really useful’