Volunteer Citizen Advocates wanted!
We are looking for volunteers to support adults with learning disabilities in Leeds as Citizen Advocates. The role involves meeting with your advocacy partner in a match to help them to make their voice heard and their rights respected.
What is a Citizen Advocate?
Citizen Advocates are fully-trained volunteers who support adults with learning disabilities with a range of things. They include:
- Visiting a client, or clients, and coming to know their values, wishes and preferences
- Remain independent of professionals who provide services such as housing, care and support
- Being independent of the client’s family
- Building a one-to-one relationship and advocate for the client, or advocacy partner, when needed
- Identifying the client’s choices and decisions, but not making or influencing them
Time Required: Long term relationships (6 months+), minimum 2 hours a month
Training Provided: Full training over four days is provided and covers Learning Disability Awareness, Safeguarding and Introduction to Advocacy
If you would like to know more, please contact Miranda Arieh, our Citizen Advocacy Volunteer Coordinator:
- By email at Miranda.Arieh@advonet.org.uk
- By calling the Advonet office on 0113 244 0606
To apply for the role, please click on the button at the end of this article to download an application form. Then, once completed, please email it to Miranda using the email address above.